Navigator Cloud Part®
Navigators Cloud Part® User Manual
Navigators provides a solution to your navigation needs. Global navigator allows you to create and design a header navigation bar that is persistent throughout your site collection.
Navigators operates in both Modern and Classic environments of SharePoint Online. This guide will be focusing on the modern experience, but any feature or usage that is available in a modern environment is also available in a classic environment. The only difference between the two is the way you, as an admin, add webparts to a page, which is a SharePoint OOB difference between classic and modern.
New stuff in your environment!
Upon installing Navigators Cloud Part® to your SharePoint Online environment, you will see a new navigation related web part as an option to add to a page. In addition, a List entitled “Bamboo Navigation Configuration” will be generated and placed into your Site Contents.
Items added on install of Navigators to site collection:
- Web Part:
- Bamboo Navigator Global Navigation Setup
- Bamboo Navigation Configuration
Global Navigator List Configuration
The Bamboo Navigation Configuration List is where you, as an admin, will design your Global Navigator bar. This list comes prepopulated with columns that feed/design the bar with the information that you input. The columns and their purposes are listed below:
- This is what will appear on your global navigator bar as the title of an item on your bar
- This is the link that will be associated with the title, if the title is clicked upon, that link will either open in the existing window or a new window (depending on a setting you select in another column)
- Titles are not required to have URLs associated with them, this field can be blank
- This is a drop-down choice column used to identify to which parent this item is a child, this will build your cascading menu option in your navigator bar
- This column will auto populate with all item titles in your list
- You can make any item in your list the parent to a child, however an item cannot be its own parent
- Evaluate link target permissions
- This is a Boolean field that gives the admin the ability to say “Yes” or “No” to if this item should appear in the navigator bar only to those who have SharePoint granted permission to that content, or not
- If “Yes” only individuals with access to the content at the URL will be able to see the header in the navigation bar
- If “No” everyone in the site collection will see the header in the navigation bar, regardless of if they have access granted to that content
- here is one of my favorite sites that identifies their names: https://uifabricicons.azurewebsites.net/
- This is a field where you can add an icon to the header in the navigator bar, it appears before the title text
- This field is fed by Office UI Fabric Icons, which you can do a quick google search for
- The field only requires the official Office UI Fabric Icon name, for example the icon for the below is entitled: Money
- Open in New Window
- This is a Boolean field that determines the behavior of the link when you click on a header
- If this column says “Yes” then a new window will open with the assigned URL
- If this column says “No” then the URL will open in the current window
- This is a Boolean field that allows another level of control for visibility of an item in the global navigator bar
- This column when marked “No” will remove this item from the global navigator bar
- This column when marked “Yes” will then proceed to check the “Evaluate link target permissions” column for how to handle visibility
- This is a numeric field used to denote in what order the header should appear on the global navigator bar with 1 being first, 2 being second, etc.
- If the header is a top parent, it will determine the order on the collapsed navigation bar
- If the header is a child, it will determine the order of appearance relative to the parent’s other children underneath the parent header
Adding Global Navigator to your Site Collection
Once you have your navigator bar options configured just how you like them, you are probably wondering how you get it to show up in your site collection. Easy!
- Create a new page (or use an existing one)
- Add the webpart we introduced above entitled “Bamboo Navigator Global Navigation Setup” to your page
- Publish or save the page, and you will get the below:
The Bamboo Navigator Global Navigation Setup Webpart allows you to toggle on and toggle off the Global Navigator Bar for both modern pages and classic pages within your site collection. This feature is useful if you must make some updates to the navigator bar, but you don’t want to confuse people as you are changing values. You can simply come to your webpart and temporarily toggle the navigator bar to the “off” position. In addition, we find some users only want their global navigator bar to show up in their modern environment, but not their classic environment. This webpart gives you an extra level of customization inside your site collection to really define who you want to see the global navigator bar and where.
Updating your Global Navigator Bar
The Global Navigator Bar can be updated at any point in time. All that is needed to update your custom designed global navigator bar is to go to your Bamboo Navigation Configuration List and make the changes that you need!