After PM Central has been installed and you have set up your permissions, you can begin configuring PM Central to manage your projects and team members.
Follow these 10 steps to begin using PM Central as soon as possible. Make sure that you are logged in to an account that has Full Control permission level.
- Create the Portfolio, or Top-Level, site.
- Bamboo PM Central Top-Level Site:
- Bamboo PM Central Top-Level Site - Custom Template:
- Go to the top level of the site collection where you want to create the portfolio site.
- From the top left side of the page, select Site Actions > New Site.
- Choose a template for the site.The two top-level site templates have the same features; only their appearance is different.
- Fill out the Title and URL for the site. Click Create.
- Once the portfolio site is created, do not manually add data to the Project Summary or the Task Summary, Risk Summary or Milestone Summary charts. This data is automatically calculated after you create the project site.
- Add resources to the Enterprise Resource Pool. Do this first before you create a new project. You can create new resources manually, or you can import resources from the SharePoint User Profile database (SharePoint Server 2010) or User Information List (SharePoint Foundation 2010).
To import resources from SharePoint:
- In the portfolio site, go to Resources > User Profiles Import.
- In the User Profile Import Utility, enter search terms to find the user or users you want to import, and then click Search.
- In the search results, select the users you want to add to the Enterprise Resource Pool and click Import User Profiles.
To create new resources manually:
- In the portfolio site, go to Resources > Enterprise Resource Pool.
- To add a new resource, either click New in the Enterprise Resource Pool toolbar menu bar, or click anywhere in the ERP list to activate the List Tools ribbon and click the New Item button.
- Enter your resources individually. At a minimum, enter information for the following fields, and then click Save:
- Create the project site.
- From the portfolio site, select Central Actions > Add New Project.
- Enter in a Title and an optional Description.
- Choose your permissions.
- Under Site Template, choose the project site template. The only differences among the templates are their appearance and whether the template contains seed data. The features are the same.
- Fill out the project data for the Project Health List. Make sure to choose a Project Department if you want to create a department site later on.
If you select the Auto Update option, the application will automatically update the Start Date, Due Date and % Complete using information from the project's Task List. Information that you manually enter will be overwritten.
- Click Create.
- Complete the Configuration Checklist.
- Select the Configuration Checklist link in the Welcome message.
- Click each Action link in the Configuration Checklist to complete the open items.
- When you update the Project Health information, you only need to enter the Project Name, Project Manager and, if necessary, the Project Type, Project Department, Budget Cost and Budget Work. The % Complete, Project Start Date, Project End Date and other data are automatically calculated. You do not need to modify them yourself.
- Add resources to the project.
- In the project site, select Resources > Project Team Info > New.
- Add your resources from the Enterprise Resource Pool in the Resources section, which you created in Step 2. You can also choose to enter resources from outside the Enterprise Resource Pool by navigating to the Contacts List's list settings and modifying the Bamboo Resource Role column by selecting No for the option Select resources from Resource Pool site. Then create your project resources.
- Click Save.
- Set up tasks with the SharePoint Task Master Web Part.
- In the project site, click the Tasks > All Tasks tab.
- Click the arrow on the right side of the Web Part and select Edit Web Part to open the tool pane.
- Add the columns that you want to display and set your working hours, workdays and holidays. Remember that Task Master does not exclude lunch hours from working hours. Click Apply and then OK.
- Repeat these steps for the Overdue Tasks and My Tasks tabs.
- Create tasks and milestones.
- In the Tasks > All Tasks tab, create tasks and milestones by selecting New Item.
- Click Recalculate and assign your resources.
- Create the department site.
- Bamboo PM Central Department Level Site - Custom Template
- Bamboo PM Central Department Level Site
- Navigate to the portfolio site and select Central Actions > Add New Project.
- Enter a Title and an optional Description for the department site.
- Choose your permissions.
- Select the template for the department site:
- Click Create and wait while the department site is created.
- Configure the filter settings by selecting the filter settings link in the Welcome message. Configure the filter to display only data for the department's projects using specific criteria.
- Update the Gantt View Data.
- Return to the portfolio site and complete the Configuration Checklist.
- Select Settings > Update Gantt View Data > Refresh.
- Wait for the data to populate.
- Wait 10-20 minutes for the data from the project and department sites to populate the portfolio site.
Now you should see data at the portfolio, department and project levels, including charts and reports. You are ready to being managing your projects and team members.