Alert Plus Cloud Part®
Automatically send customized, conditional email notifications and reminders in SharePoint
- After adding the Alert Plus Cloud Part® to a page, the user can click on the icon to pull up the New/Edit Alert form.
- Fill out the form:
- Alert Name: Enter a title for this alert.
- URL of target list: Type or paste in the URL of the list/library you want to create an alert against
- Enable/Disable: New alerts are automatically enabled. They can always be disabled later.
- Alert Trigger: Alert emails can be triggered when a new item is created in the target list/library or when an existing item is changed.
- Click the Next > button to customize the email message.
Customizing the Alert Email Message
When the Alert is triggered, Alert Plus will send out an email to whoever you choose, with a message you compose. Use the Alert Message form to customize the email message.
- From: This is automatically populated with the logged in user’s email address. However, you are free to change it to any other email address.
- To: This is the recipient of the alert. This field accepts one or more email addresses and/or any column of type “Person” from the target list (e.g. Created By, Modified By, Team Lead, etc). This will ensure that the alert email is sent to the person represented by the value entered in the selected column for the list item that triggered the alert. Simply click on the button to choose a column.
- CC: This is the Carbon Copy field and it behaves identical to the CC field of regular email clients. Just like the “To” field, one or more email addresses can be entered here. The icon can also be used to bring up the column selector.
- Subject: This will map to the subject of the email message. The icon can also be used here to bring up the column selector.
- Message Body: The final step is to compose the body of the message. This can contain as much or as little information as you would like. Additionally, you can pull information from the list item that triggered the alert using the Column Selector. This will insert data from your new or altered list item into the email, which can help ensure maximum impact and clarity. The Message Body does support HTML.
Once you are satisfied with the Alert Message body select Finish, and the alert will be set!
- You can create multiple customized alerts. They will be listed on the page that you have installed the Alert Plus Cloud Part®.
- If you want to turn an alert off at any time, just click the Edit button and then Disable it.
Note: Alerts are scheduled via a timer running in cycles. Therefore, an alert may take up to 10 minutes from the time it is triggered to be sent to recipients..
Whitelisting an Email from the Alert Plus Cloud Part®
The Alert Plus Cloud Part® sends email messages on behalf of the sender specified on the To line. Because the message is sent on behalf of rather than actually from that sender, your organization's SPAM filter may block the message or send it to a Junk folder.
To avoid that, add the Alert Plus domain to your Allow List in Exchange. For Office 365 Exchange, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Office 365 Administration Center at https://portal.office.com/adminportal/
- Select the Exchange Admin Center from the navigation on the left side of the page.
- In the Exchange Admin Center, click on the Spam Filter link in the middle of the page.
- On the Spam Filter page, edit the Default filter by clicking on the pencil icon.
- On the Spam Filter Policy dialog, click on Allow Lists and add alert.bamboosolutions.com to the list of allowed domains as shown in Figure 1 below.
- Click Save to save the changes and close the dialog.
Figure 1. Adding alert.bamboosolutions.com to list of allowed domains.