Here are a set of best practices we've developed over multiple upgrade/migrations both with and without Bamboo products:
- Identify obsoleted content / applications before starting and remove or exclude that content from the migration.
- Confirm the correct operation of sites and applications before beginning the migration.
- Confirm the source farm is in good health before the migration.
- Confirm the target farm is in good health before the migration.
- Plan on multiple dry-runs of content before the final go-live migration.
- Plan on a level of effort to remediate issues during the dry runs.
- Script the migrations as much as possible so they are easy to repeat.
- If skipping a SharePoint version as part of a migration (for example going from 2010 to 2016), understand that is not a scenario Microsoft or Bamboo directly support – there are some elements that may require extra work on your, our, or Microsoft’s part.
- If migrating from 2013 or 2016 to Office 365, understand that there is a significant technical difference between the source and target versions that will require extra effort. We recommend that you contact us directly in this case so that we may help.