In this alert scenario, as a project manager, you have set up a Tasks List for the team to work on their assignments. Every time a Tasks is updated or created, you want to send an alert message to the person to whom the task is assigned. This use case uses the standard SharePoint Tasks List with the Assigned To field identifying the task assignee.
The Alert field selections for this use case are:
Alert List – Which list contains the items to alert on?
Event Type – What triggers the alert?
An item is created or modified
Email Frequency – How often are emails sent?
As Soon As Possible
Item Criteria – What items in the list generate an alert?
Who should the alert emails be sent to?
the Task Assignee
Where is the email address to lookup stored?
In SharePoint User Profiles
Figure 1 Standard SharePoint Tasks List
Figure 2 Event tab
- A)Select theTasks List from the drop-down selection List labelled Which list contains the items to alert on?
- B)For What triggers the alert?, select A list item is created or modified.
- C)For How often are e-mails sent?, select As Soon As Possible.
- D)For What items in the list generate an alert?, select All Items.
The Assigned To column in the Tasks List stores the person who we want the E-mail to go to. We will set Alert Plus to use this field to resolve the recipient e-mail address and ensure that each e-mail alert is sent to the individual that is assigned the task.
Figure 3 Recipient tab
- A)For Who should the alert e-mails be sent to?, select Lookup an E-mail Address in the Alert List.
- B)For Which user lookup colmn in the Alert List should be used to find the recipient?, select Assigned To.
- C)Because the Assigned To column stores a person's name rather than their e-mail address, for Where are the e-mail addresses to lookup stored?, select in SharePoint User Profiles.
Create your notification e-mail message. Since you chose to send messages when an item is Created or Modified, there are two Mail Format templates for you to create, one for On Item Creation and the other for On Item Modification.Figure 4 Mail Format Tab